The Italian Ministerial Decree of 1 September 2021 implements the provisions of Italian Legislative Decree no. 81/2008 regarding the definition of criteria to identify inspection and maintenance methods for fire-fighting systems and equipment (Art. 46(3)(a)(3)) and is the first of three decrees that will replace the current regulations defining the general fire safety criteria for managing emergencies in the workplace (Italian Ministerial Decree of 10 March 1998).
The Decree also defines the qualification of maintenance technicians, which will come into force one year after its publication in the Official Gazette, i.e. as of 25 September 2022.
Circular no. 14804/2021 of the Italian Ministry of the Interior provides initial clarifications to the Ministerial Decree of 1 September 2021 on the inspection and maintenance of systems and, in particular, on the organisation of training courses for fire-fighting equipment maintenance technicians.
Who are the trainers?
Trainers of the courses for qualified maintenance technicians must be selected from among:
- the employers’ and employees’ trade unions, joint bodies, in the fire protection sector as specified in the Decree of 1 September 2021, either directly or by making use of training facilities of their direct and exclusive issuing;
- associations operating in the fire-fighting equipment manufacturing, installation, or maintenance sector with proven experience in the training sector of at least three years as of the date of entry into force of the Decree of 1 September 2021;
- trainers accredited by the relevant region, with proven experience in the field of fire protection maintenance technician training of at least three years as of the date of entry into force of the Decree of 1 September 2021;
- educational institutions with regard to their students.
List of equipment needed for trainers and examination centres
According to the Fire Brigade, for all types of courses, in order for the theoretical and practical activities to be conducted properly, the following must be available:
- classrooms and rooms for conducting theoretical lessons;
- areas suitable for conducting practical lessons with the relevant equipment, as per the guidelines given in Appendix I and, in particular, in the specific reference tables for each individual piece of fire-fighting equipment.
In order to assess the requisites of prospective fire protection maintenance technicians, the Fire Brigade will verify the knowledge, skills, and competences indicated in section 3 of Annex II to the decree, using the methods set out in section 4, which provides for different cases depending on the experience or previous certifications held by the prospective qualified maintenance technicians.
Gi.Bi Estintori S.r.l. organises training courses for maintenance technicians and installers of all types of fire-fighting equipment; please contact us for the upcoming dates.